Trails are animations that can be seen on the track and in player garages that will "trail" behind one's car. They can be collected through achievements and the Shop, and can be equipped with the Customizer. Only one trail can be equipped at a time, and it can be unequipped by selecting the "No Trail" option.
Below is a table with all of the available trails, in order of ID. Click on the images to view the full-sized trails.
|Cash Money||Cash Store||Buy Nitro Cash||Legendary||No||449|
|Confetti||Season 35||Tier 9||Rare||No||453|
|Please Like||Special Sauce||Please Like||Legendary||No||474|
|Gold||Gold Membership||Raining Gold||Epic||Yes||479|
|Travel Trailer||Season 34
|Chroma Keys||Season 35||Tier 13||Common||No||544|
|Gold Stars||Season 35||Tier 15||Common||No||545|
|Yellow Crayon||Season 35||Tier 22||Common||Yes||546|
|Extracurricular||Season 35||Tier 31||Common||Yes||547|
|Tiny Paper Planes||Season 35||Tier 6||Common||Yes||548|
|Covered Wagon||Season 36||Tier 15||Epic||No||578|
|Prize Pumpkin||Season 36||Tier 9||Rare||Yes||579|
|The Great Pumpkin Chase||Season 36||Tier 6||Rare||No||580|
|Turkey Tail||Season 36||Tier 23||Epic||Yes||581|
|Autumn Vibe||Season 36||Tier 13||Rare||Yes||582|
|Light String||Season 37||Tier 26||Epic||Yes||596|
|Snow||Season 37||Tier 8||Rare||No||597|
|Seasonal Vibe||Season 37||Tier 17||Rare||No||598|
|Sleigh All The Way||Season 37||Tier 11||Epic||Yes||599|
|Candy Cane Power||Season 37||Tier 15||Legendary||Yes||600|
Trails made their debut during the 2015 Halloween Event when the admins decided to give everyone "a little taste of the upcoming trails feature," originally intended to be released at the end of the event. They returned for every subsequent Halloween/Hallowampus event. In those events, a trail appeared in every race if the player was using a Halloween car. On May 2, 2019, trails were released to all users, but with a randomized chance of them appearing behind them. On April 16, 2021, trails were released to Gold Members via the Raining Gold achievement. Trails were available to the general public on April 18, 2021, being detailed in a news post on that very same day.
- Nitro Type admins, Penguin Typer, and The Wampus were the only users that had full access to this feature and could use it whenever they wanted before the Gold Trail was released on April 16th, 2021.
- The Wampus originally used the smoke trail, but that was changed later on to the flame trail after the release of Nitro Type 2.0.
- After The Wampus was animated on October 18, 2020, he no longer had any trails equipped.
- Prior to April 18, 2021, it was confirmed that trails have a 1/150 chance of appearing behind a player's car during a race.
- On April 10, 2021, Penguin Typer received a custom trail for his success on YouTube and the growth of his channel.
- Tim equipped a trail on April 11, 2021.
- When the Cash Money trail was added, there was a bug that left the Buy Nitro Cash achievement incomplete even if players had purchased cash, forcing them to email support to get the trail. This was resolved within a couple of days, and the trail was distributed retroactively.
- There was a bug that, when in the Customizer, if you switch quickly between two trails, the trail you chose and the trail which appears will be mismatched.
- Season 34 - Summer Trails was the first season to have trails as a rewardable loot item, with four trails available.
- For an unknown reason, some trails are shifted downwards. This makes it so that the trail may not perfectly align with the middle of the car.